Opposites Don't Attract: Yasmine + Nolan

Monday, October 01, 2018

Opposites don’t attract 

It’s a phrase we hear a lot in relationships but it does not really ring true. Yes, we are often attracted to qualities that are foreign to us...for example, if you are shy and reserved, you may be attracted to people with a lot of confidence. If you are artistic and free spirited, maybe you like people who are more logical in their thinking. This is a natural part of choosing a partner, and you’re definitely going to have a few opposites in each other, but in the long run, marriage is a lot easier if you have things in common. Similarities make it easy to love your person, and it makes it easier to understand each other. 

 Now, you may be thinking, my partner and I have nothing in common I’m screwed! Don’t worry. I’m going to tell you 3 ways to develop similarities and this will help make the relationship easier. 

  1. Let time do its thing: when you live with someone for a long period of time, you naturally start to develop qualities and habits that they have. Remember living with your roommate in college? I do. My roommate Allison and I were very close in college. I started talking like her, I listened to her music, we ate a lot of the same food, I even made comments in class that I think she would have made. Basically, I morphed into an Allison type just based on the fact that I loved her and we were around each other constantly. The same thing happens with your partner. I watch basketball every year and I actually like it! I mean cummon....that’s pretty cool that we can affect another person like that.

  1. Don’t pressure or push for commonalities. When we were first married, we had a lot of differences, but one that I remember well was our opposite taste in music. I was always turning on group-love, the strokes and young the giant (new album coming soon. I’m stoked) and he didn’t like it all that much. I was offended but I kept playing my music until one day he turned on a familiar group love song and asked me, “have you heard this band? They are amazing?” I almost passed out. Finally! He has come to my side! It’s important to let them come to discoveries on their own. If you push, it might never happen. Don’t try to change them. 


  1. Learn about each other: some people have this idea that you need to sleep with someone to see if you are compatible before you commit to being in a relationship with them. Test the waters so to speak. I’m not judging anyone or bagging on your lifestyle, but physical stuff as well as mental & spiritual, take time. You have to be willing to learn what the other person likes. You can’t just hop into bed with someone, and think, “that was awkward and not magical at all, so I guess we aren’t compatible. If this is your technique, good luck finding someone! When you find someone you are compatible with in ALL areas, then take the time to study them...learn about what they like and dislike. Ask questions about their hopes and dreams. What are they passionate about? What makes them tick?

Do these things, and let nature run its course, and you’ll see what I mean. You’ll start turning into each other! Not in a weird way. In a good way. You’ll wanna hang out, you’ll wanna turn on both your favorite music, you’ll want to please the other person in more ways than one. 

This shoot: Yasmine & Nolan are seriously the cutest couple EVER. I loved working with them. We basically just played around and had fun. Yasmine has the coolest fashion instagram/blog. Go check it out...


Location: Redlands CA





































































No comments:

Tell me what YOU think!

Powered by Blogger.